The London and North Western Railway (LNWR) Class G2 is a class of 0-8-0steam locomotives. 60 were built at Crewe Works in 1921–1922. Uniquely amongst classes of LNWR 8-coupled tender engines, they were not rebuilt from or into other classes. Slightly confusingly the LNWR Class G2a is sometimes considered a subclass, but not in this article. They were classified by the London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS) as 5, from 1928 7F.
The LNWR used a lowest available number numbering system, meaning that numbers were somewhat haphazard. After the grouping in 1923, the LMS renumbered them 9395-9454 in order of build date. All were inherited by British Railways (BR) upon nationalisation in 1948. BR added 40000 to their numbers so that they became 49395-49454.
The class were withdrawn between 1959 and 1964 with the first member of the class to be withdrawn was 49436 in May 1959, the final member of the class to be withdrawn was 49430 in December 1964.
The first of the class, LNWR No. 485, LMS No. 9395, BR No. 49395 has been preserved and is part of the National Collection at the NRM. It had previously spent time at the Ironbridge Gorge Museum Trust‘s Blists Hill Victorian Town.
The locomotive is currently situated at the East Lancashire Railway where it is stored out of traffic awaiting a decision on its operational future. Now at NRM Shildon.