Lac-aux-Sables is a picturesque and recreational tourism locality of the Moyenne-Mauricie located at the southeastern limit of the Laurentian Shield, on the north shore of the St. Lawrence River, in the municipality regional county of Mékinac, in Mauricie, in Quebec. This municipality includes the main village located between Lac aux Sables and the Batiscan river, as well as the village of Hervey-Jonction, located at the junction of the Quebec-Abitibi rail section and the other Montreal-Lac-Saint-Jean section.
Today its economy is based on recreational and tourism activities (vacationing, camping, hunting and fishing, mountain biking, snowmobiles), forestry, agriculture and certain local businesses.
This locality has a territory of 286.2 kilometres (177.84 mi) where 1292 inhabitants reside. The municipality has approximately 2,200 seasonal residents and more than several campgrounds. The main village of Lac-aux-Sables is located at the junction of routes 153 and 363. The center of the village is located in a direct line just 59 km (37 mi) from downtown Trois-Rivières, 90 km (56 mi) from downtown Quebec and 174 km (108 mi) from downtown Montreal.
The colonization of the territory of Lac-aux-Sables began in 1871, thanks to the construction of a first road between the village of Notre-Dame-des-Anges and the village of Lac-aux-Sables. The objective was to better serve the farmers established in the Chavigny canton. The municipality was incorporated civilly on April 24, 1899.
The canonical foundation of the parish of Saint-Rémi du Lac-aux-Sables was formalized by a decree of January 21, 1897. The first parish priest arrived on October 1, 1897, namely Joseph-T. Thibaudeau; his treatment lasted until 1900. The registers of civil acts of baptisms, marriages and burials began in 1897. The construction of the wooden church took place in 1898. On January 1, 2018, the new parish factory Saint-Coeur-de-Marie merged the Catholic factories of Notre-Dame-des-Anges, Saint-Éloi-les-Mines, Saint-Rémi-du-Lac-aux-Sables, Saint-Léopold d’Hervey-Jonction, [ [Sainte-Thècle]] and Saint-Adelphe.
The locality of Lac-aux-Sables is part of the Batiscanie (hydrographic basin), being crossed by the Batiscan river.
The Batiscan River flows north to south over 196 km (122 mi) starting from lac Édouard in Mauricie. It drains into the St. Lawrence River at Batiscan. The village is located northwest of a segment of this river. From 1852, the Price Brothers and Company began to harvest the forest in the Batiscan Valley. The transport of wood by flotation on the Batiscan river was abandoned in 1963.
The Own River with its 6.7 km (4.2 mi) course has its source at Lac aux Sables in the municipality of Lac-aux-Sables. The bottom of this river is considered to be sandy. After a journey of 2.8 km (1.7 mi) (by the bottom of the water) receiving water from the outlet of the Little Black Lake, the Propre river flows into Lake Huron (southern part east of the lake) which is located between the main village of Lac-aux-Sables and the railway village of Hervey-Jonction. From Lake Huron, the course of the Clean River flows southeast, passing under the Lake Huron Highway Bridge, then under a railway bridge and finally under the Highway 153 Highway Bridge (connecting the village of Sainte-Thècle in the village of Lac-aux- Sables The clean river flows into the Batiscan river near the village of Lac-aux-Sables, near the Sainte-Thècle border.