Interfor Corporation is one of the largest lumber producers in the world. The company’s sawmilling operations have a combined manufacturing capacity of over 3 billion board feet of lumber with sales to North America, Asia-Pacific and Europe. Interfor is based in Vancouver, BC and employs approximately 3400 people. In May 2014, Interfor opened its corporate office for the USA south-east region at Peachtree City, Georgia.
- Primary Industry (NAICS): 113311-Logging (except contract)
- Total Sales in 2013 ($CDN): $1,105.2 million
- Corporate Headquarters: 1600-4720 Kingsway, Metrotower II, Burnaby, BC Canada V5H 4N2
- 1930s Began with a sawmill in Whonnock, BC.
- 1963 Incorporated as Yorkston Lumber Co.
- 1963 Name changed to Whonnock Lumber Co.
- 1967 Converted to a public company.
- 1967 Name changed to Whonnock Industries.
- 1979 Sauder Industries acquired a controlling interest in Interfor (later transferred to the Sauder family’s Mountclair Investment Corporation holding company).
- 1988 Name changed to International Forest Products Ltd.
- 1995 Buy Weldwood Operation
- 1996 Close Bay Lumber Operation
- 2000 Sell Flavelle Mill
- 2001 Buy Primex Mills
- 2001 Close Fraser Mill
- 2002 Close MacDonald Operation/Open Sumas Operation
- 2004 Close Squamish Operation
- 2005 Buy Crown Pacific Limited Partners
- 2005 Buy Floragon Forest Products Molalla Inc.
- 2005 Close Marysville and Field Operations
- 2006 Sell Saltar and MacKenzie Operations
- 2008 Buy Portac Inc.
- 2008 Close Queensborough Operations
- 2013 Buy Rayonier Wood Products Division
- 2013 Buy Keadle Lumber Enterprises Inc.
- 2014 Buy Tolleson Lumber Company
- 2014 Name changed to Interfor Corporation
- 2014 Close Forks/Beaver Operations
- 2014 Acquired properties from Simpson Lumber Company
- 2015 Buy Monticello Operation
- 2015 Close Tacoma Operation
- 2019 Close Hammond Operation
- 2020 Sell Gilchrist Operation
- 2021 Buy Summerville Operation, and Timmins and Gogama mills.
Interfor produces lumber for residential, commercial and industrial applications. It uses several species of wood in its products, including Douglas Fir, Western Hemlock, Western Red Cedar, Ponderosa pine, Lodgepole pine and Southern Yellow Pine. It markets European Spruce and Red Pine lumber through a sales agreement with Ilim Timber.
Interfor has sawmills in British Columbia (BC), Washington, Oregon, Georgia, South Carolina, and Arkansas. In BC this includes one sawmill (Acorn) on the Coast; two sawmills in the Kootenay region (Grand Forks and Castlegar); and one sawmill in the Southern Interior region near Kamloops (Adams Lake).
In the US Pacific Northwest, the company operates two sawmills in Washington state (Port Angeles and Longview) and one in Oregon (Molalla). It operates the Cedarprime remanufacturing plant in Sumas, Washington.
In the US Southeast, the company operates seven sawmills in Georgia (Baxley, Eatonton, Meldrim, Perry, Preston, Swainsboro, and Thomaston), one in South Carolina (Georgetown), and one in Arkansas (Monticello).