USS Ottawa (AKA-101) was a Tolland-class attack cargo ship of the United States Navy named after counties in the states of Kansas, Michigan, Ohio and Oklahoma. She served as a commissioned ship for 23 months.
The second Ottawa was laid down as a Type C2-S-AJ3 ship on 5 October 1944 under a Maritime Commission Contract (MC hull 1698) by North Carolina Shipbuilding Co., Wilmington, North Carolina; launched on 29 November 1944, sponsored by Mrs. William S. Pritchard; acquired and commissioned at the Charleston Navy Yard on 8 February 1945, Lt. Comdr. Jackson Mizell, USNR, in command.
After outfitting at Charleston, Ottawa conducted shakedown training out of Norfolk, Virginia, completing those evolutions on 28 February 1945. With Navy cargo loaded at Norfolk, the ship sailed on 11 March 1945, escorted by the high speed transportRegister (APD-92), and reached the Canal Zone on 17 March. Transiting the Panama Canal on 17–18 March, she reported for duty with the Pacific Fleet on the latter date, and pushed on for Pearl Harbor, arriving there on 1 April. After discharging her cargo at Pearl, she transported a cargo of marine ammunition from Honolulu to Maui, then departed on 21 April for the California ports of San Pedro, Port Hueneme and San Francisco, and Seattle, Washington, to load explosives and construction equipment, returning to Pearl Harbor on 23 May.
Ottawa proceeded alone from Pearl to Eniwetok, Marshalls, and Ulithi, Carolines, then departed the latter in convoy on 27 June 1945 bound for Okinawa. Completing discharge of cargo on 12 July, she then sailed via Ulithi and Manus for Espiritu Santo, arriving there on 28 July to load Army and Navy vehicles for delivery to Guam and Saipan. The ship departed Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides, on 8 August and reached Apra Harbor, Guam, Marianas, on 15 August – V-J Day. After discharging her cargo at Guam, she proceeded to Saipan and completed unloading there on 28 August.