In 1867, the main condition for New Brunswick and Nova Scotia entering into the Canadian Confederation was to be linked to the rest of the country by a railway. In 1868, work began on the Intercolonial Railway and the authorities decided to have the railway turn at Saint-Octave-de-Métis in Gaspésie. However, this village, because of its rugged landscape, was not suitable to receive the train station and maintenance shops. The engineers turned to the higher 2nd farming rank of Sainte-Flavie, and the train station was named Sainte-Flavie-Station. In 1880, Sainte-Flavie-Station became separate and was named Mont-Joli, the name which the first settlers had used to describe the area.
Mont-Joli is the easternmost end of Autoroute 20, whose segment connects with the city of Rimouski. Route 132 runs through the centre of Mont-Joli as part of a loop that circumnavigates the Gaspé Peninsula; it is about 3 km (2 mi) southeast of Sainte-Flavie, where Route 132 intersects with itself.
- 1 Mont-Joli Airport (YYY IATA). Connections from Baie-Comeau, Montreal-Trudeau, Havre Saint-Pierre, Quebec City, Sept-Îles, Wabush