Sitia, 18 km from Palekastro and 60 from Ierapetra, with a population of 9500 people, is the easternmost city on Crete and perhaps the least developed. Even during the busy summer peak, Sitia retains a certain charm and laid-back style. On the other hand, this means that it is not deserted in the winter, like other tourist resorts of Crete.
During the Venetian occupation the town of Sitia was destroyed three times. In 1508 by a terrible earthquake, in 1538 by the pirate Barbarosa and in 1651 by the Venetians so as not to fall in the hands of the Turks. For two centuries Sitia ceased to exist as a town, until 1869. The present city was built in 1870.
Sitia is the seat of administrative and public services for the county.
- 1 Sitia Airport (JSH IATA). Has connections to Athens, Kassos, Karpathos,Rhodes and some charter flights abroad.
- Olympic Air from Alexandroupolis, Athens, Karpathos and Preveza-Lefkas
- Sky Express from Athens and Heraklion
- Hamburg International from Hamburg.
- XL Airways Germany from Düsseldorf and Munich.